On the third episode of WordPress for Nonprofits, I interview Matt Cromwell.
Who you are and what you do
Why use WordPress over another website content management system?
Self-hosted WordPress is a great way to own your own data rather than sharing it with a third-party platform.
More about Give
Give is a donation plugin that allows you to own your data on your own website. Most WordPress e-commerce solutions are not ideal for the donor experience, and Give allows for a real donation form instead of simply a shopping cart.
Story of someone who used Give
Why use Give over a crowdfunding platform for personal funding?
- Your data is private on Give since it’s on your own website and not hosted by a third party
- Since it’s on your website, it’s completely customizable to your needs. For example, you can’t host a blog on most crowdfunding sites.
- People will fund you based on your story, so it’s the donation form’s job to get out of the way
What other systems does Give integrate with?
- Payment gateways such as Paypal, Authorize.Net, Stripe, WePay, and Braintree
- Mailchimp and Constant Contact
- The Zapier add-on allows you to integrate with everything Zapier integrates with
Top plugins recommended
- iThemes Security
- Yoast SEO
- Jetpack – including the simple share buttons and image content delivery network called Photon
- Beaver Builder
WordPress themes – commercial or custom?
Contact info and a parting piece of guidance
Spend as much time on your website as you possibly can. It is one of your most important assets as far as fundraising. Make it a priority, and invest time, money, and resources into it.